The Berkeley Historical Plaque Project belongs to all of us who live in Berkeley. We invite you to participate by making a contribution, e-mailing us current or historical photos that will add to this website, or writing and sending us your own e-Plaque texts with photos.
Special thanks to Anthony Bruce, Executive Director of the Berkeley Architectural Heritage Association (BAHA), for assisting us in researching at the BAHA Archives and for generously allowing us to use images from his own personal collection. Anthony deserves a plaque in his honor for his perseverance and devotion, over so many years, to preserving and archiving our city’s past. He is a unique City of Berkeley resource.
Very special thanks also to Sarah Wikander whose passion for collecting historic postcards of Berkeley has produced a remarkable portrait of Berkeley’s past. Her generosity in sharing these images with us is much appreciated. Anybody interested in a broad view of Berkeley’s past through postcards should buy a copy of Picturing Berkeley: A Postcard History edited by Burl Willes (2002). Published jointly by the Berkeley Historical Society (BHS) and the Berkeley Architectural Heritage Association (BAHA) the book is a delight from start to finish.
Thanks also to Tim Perry for his legal assistance, to Diana Kehlmann for her editorial help, to John Aronovici and Allen Stross of the Berkeley Historical Society and to Councilmembers Lauri Capitelli and Susan Wengraff. We are deeply grateful to our anonymous donor and our other donors who make this website possible.
The Berkeley Historical Plaque Project is looking for volunteers who would like to draft e-texts and/or join us at our regular tasks. Kindly send us an e-mail telling us about yourself and your interests.
- Robert Kehlmann Artist, art critic; founder, chair and website editor, Berkeley Historical Plaque Project; former chair, Berkeley Landmarks Preservation Commission; author, Twentieth Century Stained Glass: A New Definition (1992), The Inner Light: Sculpture of Stanislav Libenský and Jaroslava Brychtová (2002).
- David Snippen Designer; secretary, Berkeley Historical Plaque Project; former chair, Berkeley Civic Arts Commission; former vice chair, Berkeley Design Review Committee; former president, Berkeley Design Advocates; member, Berkeley Art Center Association Board.
- Sharon Entwistle Treasurer, Berkeley Historical Plaque Project; member ex officio, Landmark Heritage Foundation Board; former member, Berkeley Architectural Heritage Association Board; founding member Berkeley Historical Plaque Project.
- Michael Corbett Architectural historian based in San Francisco and Berkeley since 1973; author, Splendid Survivors: San Francisco’s Downtown Architectural Heritage (1979), Port City: The History and Transformation of the Port of San Francisco, 1848–2010.
- Tom Dalzell Slang Lexicographer; material popular culture blogger at Quirkyberkeley.com; walk leader for Berkeley Path Wanderers.
- Steven Finacom Community historian, journalist; former vice president, Berkeley Architectural Heritage Association; former president, Berkeley Historical Society; co-founder, Chronicle of the University of California; founding member, Berkeley Historical Plaque Project.
- Sarah Gill Art historian; author, The Critic Sees: A Guide to Art Criticism (1994); currently writing an analysis of Julia Morgan’s Berkeley City Club.
- Mary Hardy Conservation consultant, Siegel & Strain Architects; ICOMOS/ISCEAH executive committee; member, Western Chapter, Association for Preservation Technology (WCAPT) Board; former senior project specialist, Getty Conservation Institute.
- Diana Kehlmann Music editor, Berkeley Historical Plaque Project, Jin Shin Jyutsu bodywork practitioner and a homeopathic consultant; pianist, studied locally with Mona Sills, Julian White, and Julie Steinberg, currently working with Margret Elson; member Berkeley Piano Club.
- James Samuels Architect; architecture editor, Berkeley Historical Plaque Project; former Chair, Berkeley Planning Commission; former commissioner, Berkeley Landmarks Preservation Commission; principal in the firm of E. Paul Kelly AIA; projects include the Downtown YMCA and what is now the Mechanics Bank on Shattuck Ave.
- Christopher Wagstaff Independent editor, author, curator; former lecturer UC Davis, UC Berkeley; editor, A Poet’s Mind: Collected Interviews with Robert Duncan, 1960–1985 (2013); co-curator, An Opening of the Field: Jess, Robert Duncan, and their Circle (2013–2014).
- Helena Wills Jagiellonian University graduate with Master’s in social sciences, University of Provence international exchange program recipient, assistant to the Minister of Poland (2007-2013), author of Dzień Dobry USA blog.
- Carl Wikander Writer; editor, The Early Life of Frank Spenger Sr.; Kenneth Harvey Cardwell: An Oral History; former president Berkeley Architectural Heritage Association; former president, Berkeley Historical Society.
Emeritus Project Members
- Susan Cerny Founding Member (1940–2016) Berkeley Historical Plaque Project
- Gail Keleman (1940–2004)
- Trish Hawthorne
- Linda Perry Founding Member Berkeley Historical Plaque Project