John Brennan House


designated in 2001

John Brennan House

John Brennan, Builder, 1891
1124–1126 Addison Street

This Queen Anne style house, with its fish-scale shingles, broad herringbone gable end walls, and arched bracketing in corner windows, is an example of substantial family homes scattered throughout West Berkeley farmland before the turn of the century. Canadian emigrant John Brennan was a local farmer and businessman as well as one of the first trustees of the town of Berkeley. John and brothers James and Edward established a livery stable in the 1870s and later opened a saloon at San Pablo and University Avenues. In 1959, nephew Jack opened Brennan’s Restaurant at Fourth Street and University Avenue, continuing a family tradition of entrepreneurship. Brennan family members lived here until 1970.

Contributed by Berkeley Historical Plaque Project, 2002

  • Brennan’s Restaurant, S.F. Chronicle, Nov. 2, 2004.

  • Brenan’s logo,

More information:

Photo credit abbreviations:
BAHA: Berkeley Architectural Heritage Assn.
BHS: Berkeley Historical Society