Park Congregational Church/ South Berkeley Community Church
designated in 1976
CITY OF BERKELEY LANDMARK
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
1802 Fairview Street
This imaginative and eccentric Mission Revival stucco and wood-frame building has a paneled Arts and Crafts interior with slender arched roof trusses and exposed wall stud framing. Large moving wall panels and doors allow expansion of the sanctuary into a main interior room and semicircle array of Sunday School spaces. The low ceiling entry porches and vestibules contrast dramatically with the scale of the high-roofed volume of the sanctuary. This congregation was among the first in Berkeley to embrace parishioners of all ethnicities in an inclusive fellowship, and it was active politically through the post-World War II and later Civil Rights movement of the 1960s.
Contributed by Berkeley Historical Plaque Project, 2008