CITY OF BERKELEY LANDMARKdesignated in 1994
Walter H. Ratcliff, Jr., Architect, 1923
“TO INCULCATE THE HIGHEST STANDARDS AND IDEALS IN BUSINESS.” That lofty aim, incised high on the façade of this graceful Spanish Colonial building, guided Armstrong College for more than 70 years. Known in its early days as the California School for Private Secretaries, the private school met with limited success until classes in penmanship and shorthand gave way to a more academic curriculum. Renamed Armstrong University, its reputation grew, drawing students from around the world. After a decade of use as a training facility for the University of California, the building was acquired by the Tibetan Nyingma Meditation Center in 2009 and renamed Dharma College.
Berkeley Historical Plaque Project
Armstrong College postcard (ca.1923), Sarah Wikander collection
Women's Rest Room of Armstrong College, The Master Builder, BAHA Archives.
Armstrong College Dedication, The Master Builder, BAHA Archives.
J. Evan Armstrong, The Master Builder, BAHA Archives.
Balcony, Armstrong College Building (2010), photo R. Kehlmann.
Dharma College (2010), photo R. Kehlmann.