Baptist Seminary of the West Plaque

Baptist Seminary of the West

CAMPUS AREA

2606 Dwight Way map it

CITY OF BERKELEY LANDMARK

designated in 1999

American Baptist Seminary of the West
Hobart Hall

Julia Morgan, Architect, 1919

This compact complex of buildings linked by a series of arcades and academic quads in the English tradition was created to house one of Berkeley’s earliest seminaries. Hobart Hall, designed by Julia Morgan, is notable for its elaborate brickwork, elegant arched north entry, and molded terra cotta decorative detail. In 1953, architect Walter H. Ratcliff, Jr. continued the Tudor Revival style with Johnson Hall to the east and the small chapel with a double-gabled roof entry to the south. Additional campus buildings after 1964 reflect more modern architectural styles. Hobart Hall was substantially remodeled in 2000.

Berkeley Historical Plaque Project
2007


  • Baptist Seminary, from courtyard (2010), photo R. Kehlmann.

  • Baptist Seminary, exterior detail (2010), photo R. Kehlmann.

  • Baptist Seminary original building, absw.edu.

  • Julia Morgan, The California Museum.

  • American Baptist Seminary of the West logo.

Photo credit abbreviations:
BAHA: Berkeley Architectural Heritage Assn.
BHS: Berkeley Historical Society