Baptist Seminary of the West
CITY OF BERKELEY LANDMARKdesignated in 1999
Julia Morgan, Architect, 1919
This compact complex of buildings linked by a series of arcades and academic quads in the English tradition was created to house one of Berkeley’s earliest seminaries. Hobart Hall, designed by Julia Morgan, is notable for its elaborate brickwork, elegant arched north entry, and molded terra cotta decorative detail. In 1953, architect Walter H. Ratcliff, Jr. continued the Tudor Revival style with Johnson Hall to the east and the small chapel with a double-gabled roof entry to the south. Additional campus buildings after 1964 reflect more modern architectural styles. Hobart Hall was substantially remodeled in 2000.
Berkeley Historical Plaque Project