Church of the Good Shepherd
CITY OF BERKELEY LANDMARKdesignated in 1980
Charles L. Bugbee, Architect, 1878
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
This is Berkeley’s oldest remaining church building and the oldest church in the East Bay still in continuous use by its founding congregation. The one-story Victorian Gothic-style building was built here on what was Bristol Street, before it was renamed Hearst Avenue. The building is distinguished by vertical board-and-batten siding, a 75-foot bell tower, and pointed-arch stained glass windows. The church’s thousand-pound Blymer bell was used as a city fire alarm from 1882 until the advent of electricity in 1894.
Berkeley Historical Plaque Project