Plaque

Church of the Good Shepherd

WEST & CENTRAL

1001 Hearst Avenue map it

CITY OF BERKELEY LANDMARK

designated in 1980

CHURCH OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD

Charles L. Bugbee, Architect, 1878
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

This is Berkeley’s oldest remaining church building and the oldest church in the East Bay still in continuous use by its founding congregation. The one-story Victorian Gothic-style building was built here on what was Bristol Street, before it was renamed Hearst Avenue. The building is distinguished by vertical board-and-batten siding, a 75-foot bell tower, and pointed-arch stained glass windows. The church’s thousand-pound Blymer bell was used as a city fire alarm from 1882 until the advent of electricity in 1894.

Berkeley Historical Plaque Project
2000


    More information:
    BAHA

    Photo credit abbreviations:
    BAHA: Berkeley Architectural Heritage Assn.
    BHS: Berkeley Historical Society