City Hall Annex
CITY OF BERKELEY LANDMARKdesignated in 1988
James W. Plachek, Architect, 1925
Constructed in 1925 when Berkeley’s population was growing rapidly, this building accommodated a variety of civic services next to City Hall. The Department of Milk Inspection, which assured the purity of milk produced by dairies that were still located in less developed parts of the City, was located here. A large fire-proof safe inside the building, perhaps a legacy of Berkeley’s 1923 fire, once stored City records.
Berkeley Historical Plaque Project