Plaque

Davis-Byrne Building

DOWNTOWN

2108-2140 Dwight Way map it

CITY OF BERKELEY LANDMARK

designated in 1991

DAVIS-BYRNE BUILDING

1895

This building was originally part of a small commercial district that grew up around Dwight Way Station where Shattuck Avenue commuter trains intersected with the horse-car line that ran up Dwight Way to the California Schools for the Deaf and Blind (now the University of California’s Clark Kerr Campus). Owner Glennie Davis constructed the original building which had residential rooms above storefronts.

After nearly a century of commercial and residential use, this building was bought with City assistance, remodeled in 1992, and enlarged in 1998. The rear section of the building was demolished and rebuilt, but the original facade has been preserved and restored.

Berkeley Historical Plaque Project
1998


  • Davis-Byrne Building (2010), photo R. Kehlmann.

  • Davis-Byrne Building entryway, Library of Congress.

  • David-Byrne Building, stairway to residential rooms, Library of Congress.

  • Davis Byrne Building , South side, Library of Congress.

Photo credit abbreviations:
BAHA: Berkeley Architectural Heritage Assn.
BHS: Berkeley Historical Society