CITY OF BERKELEY LANDMARKdesignated in 1998
A.H. Broad, Designer and Builder, 1886
In the late 19th century, the Hillegass family farmed much of the land in this area. As a residential community spread south of the University of California, their property was subdivided for development. George Edwards, a University graduate, lawyer, and member of Berkeley’s first board of trustees, hired well-known designer and builder A.H. Broad, another town trustee, to build this family home. The structure is an example of the wood-frame Queen Ann-Eastlake style. The original design included decorative shingles, a turret, windows grouped in threes, and an asymmetrical facade.
In 2001 builders Coreris, Hunt and Akin moved the house one lot west, placed it above parking, enlarged it, and added a complementary building to the east.
Berkeley Historical Plaque Project