Hunrick Grocery Store, site Plaque

Hunrick Grocery Store, site

NORTH

2211 Rose Street map it

CITY OF BERKELEY STRUCTURE OF MERIT

designated in 1988

SITE OF HUNRICK GROCERY STORE

1908

German immigrant George Hunrick built one of Berkeley’s many neighborhood groceries on this site when the north Berkeley hills were in an early stage of development. In those days before home refrigeration, customers gave their orders to the grocer in the morning for afternoon delivery by horse and wagon. In the early 1920s the business changed hands and, under various owners, continued in operation as the Rose Grocery until 1966. The structure later fell into disrepair. In 2005 Trachtenberg Architects developed the site, incorporating historic signage and artifacts from the original Mission Revival facade into the new project.

Berkeley Historical Plaque Project
2005


  • Rose Grocery (2008), photo R. Kehlmann.

  • Rose Grocery (ca. 1990), BAHA Archives.

More information:
BAHA

Photo credit abbreviations:
BAHA: Berkeley Architectural Heritage Assn.
BHS: Berkeley Historical Society