Gorman & Son Building
CITY OF BERKELEY LANDMARKdesignated in 1982
Constructed circa 1880
Additions and Renovations 1890, 1906, 1940, 2005
John and Margaret Gorman moved their furniture and upholstery shop to this location in 1880. It is one of Berkeley’s oldest commercial buildings and a surviving example of the Victorian-era “corner store.” The original two-story structure fronts Telegraph Avenue. The Parker Street wing, diagonal corner entrance, and turret were added in 1906. The entire structure was rennovated in 2005.
Gorman’s inventory became known for the unfinished yet functional beds, bookcases, and desks that served the burgeoning university community. In the early days they also made coffins. Four generations of the family operated the business until it was sold in 1997 and later moved to Oakland.
Berkeley Historical Plaque Project