Mrs. E.P. (Stella) King Building
CITY OF BERKELEY LANDMARKdesignated in 2004
Albert Dodge Coplin, Architect, 1901
This corner store was built for Stella King’s dry goods business and upstairs residence. Until the shop closed in 1923, it was a gathering place where neighbors could find everything from sewing supplies to baled hay.Self-taught designer A. D. Coplin used narrow shiplap siding and scroll-sawn eave details, adapting Colonial Revival and Craftsman styles into his eclectic design. Although modified for different uses over the years, the E. P. King building retains its original appearance and corner-store character. This wood frame building and the adjacent Soda Works building are survivors of the early commercial district along this section of Telegraph Avenue.
Berkeley Historical Plaque Project