Plaque

Kress Co. Store

DOWNTOWN

2036 Shattuck Avenue map it

CITY OF BERKELEY LANDMARK

designated in 1981

S. H. KRESS CO. STORE

Edward F. Sibbert, Architect, 1933

Samuel H. Kress began his chain of retail stores around 1900 and soon these “five-and-dime” variety stores dotted downtowns across America. Kress’s own company architects designed stores of high quality and adapted them to fit into the context and scale of each city’s main street. The Moderne-style building designed for Berkeley was built to withstand earthquakes. It features light-brown bricks, terra-cotta ornamentation, and decorative metalwork on the fire escapes. The marquee is original. The Kress name is high above the building entrance and in gold letters above the door. The interior once featured a lunch counter on the main sales floor and a bargain basement.

Berkeley Historical Plaque Project
2003


  • Kress Co. Store (2010), photo R. Kehlmann.

  • Kress Co. Store (1970's), BAHA Archives.

  • Kress Co. sidewalk sign, photo R. Kehlmann.

  • Samuel H. Kress, BAHA Archives.

  • Kress Co. Lunchette menu, BAHA Archives.

More information:
BAHA

Photo credit abbreviations:
BAHA: Berkeley Architectural Heritage Assn.
BHS: Berkeley Historical Society