Plaque

McCreary-Greer House

CAMPUS AREA

2318 Durant Avenue map it

CITY OF BERKELEY LANDMARK

designated in 1986

McCreary-Greer House

1901

The McCreary-Greer House and neighboring turn-of-the-century houses on this block are survivors of one of the first residential districts developed around the University campus. This house, with its original garden area and carriage house, represents a highly decorative version of Colonial Revival architecture.

Ruth Alice Greer, who was long associated with the University of California Education Department, grew up in the neighborhood and purchased this property in 1961. In 1986 she donated it to the Berkeley Architectural Heritage Association to maintain and preserve for future generations.

Berkeley Historical Plaque Project
1998


  • BAHA Director Anthony Bruce at his desk, (2012) photo R. Kehlmann.

  • McCreary-Greer House entry (2010), photo R. Kehlmann.

More information:
BAHA McCreary Greer

Photo credit abbreviations:
BAHA: Berkeley Architectural Heritage Assn.
BHS: Berkeley Historical Society