Ohlone Dog Park Plaque

Ohlone Dog Park

NORTH

1701 Hearst Avenue map it

BERKELEY HISTORY

OHLONE DOG PARK

(Martha Scott Benedict Memorial Park)

Berkeley’s Ohlone Dog Park, situated along a strip of land cleared in the 1960s for BART undergrounding, is widely considered the world’s first dog park. Development plans for the area were upended when activists occupied and dubbed the strip “People’s Park Annex.” In 1979 a group of residents gathered here to declare the area a park for dogs. What started as an experiment was made official in 1983, and the non-profit Ohlone Dog Park Association (ODPA, pronounced “odd paw”) was formed to help maintain it. A fire hydrant in the park is dedicated to Doris Richards, the longest sitting ODPA president, and there is a sign honoring Martha Scott Benedict, the founders’ leader.

Berkeley Historical Plaque Project
2016


  • Ohlone Dog Park (2013), photo R. Kehlmann

  • Users of extra-wide dog tables (2013), photo, R. Kehlmann

  • Children in the park (2013), photo R. Kehlmann

  • Afternoon in the Park (2013), photo R. Kehlmann

Photo credit abbreviations:
BAHA: Berkeley Architectural Heritage Assn.
BHS: Berkeley Historical Society