Peet Brothers / Colgate Palmolive Pump House site
PEET BROTHERS/COLGATE PALMOLIVE
In the early 20th century, a thriving manufacturing district grew up in southwest Berkeley. This is the site of a former saltwater pump house, located on what was once the east shoreline of San Francisco Bay. The pumps supplied water used in the production of soap at the Peet Brothers Soap Company plant located a quarter of a mile from here. Remnants of the saltwater pipelines are visible in the west embankment of the Southern Pacific railway track. The Peet Company, which began in 1916, later merged with Colgate and Palmolive. The plant continued to manufacture soap, glycerin, detergents, cosmetics, and related products until it closed in 1982. In 2000, Bayer Corporation purchased the plant property and constructed this platform and walkway. They have donated it to the City of Berkeley for public enjoyment.
City of Berkeley Waterfront Commission
Berkeley Historical Plaque Project