CITY OF BERKELEY LANDMARKdesignated in 1987
J.F.HINK & SON DEPARTMENT STORE
Benjamin G. McDougall, Architect, 1909 and 1913
Walter H. Ratcliff, Jr., Architect, 1926
Berkeley’s first grand hotel, promoted as “The Finest Family Hotel in the City,” was built in 1910 by wealthy philanthropist Rosa Shattuck in memory of her husband, Francis Kittredge Shattuck, a prominent developer and civic leader. This reinforced concrete and steel building was designed by the architect of the nearby YMCA building, Benjamin McDougall. The Mediterranean Style of the building is apparent in its square corner turrets and arched windows. A second phase of construction more than tripled the size of the original six-story building, with 300 “Splendidly Furnished” rooms. For more than seven decades Hink’s department store, with its covered arcade built in 1926, occupied the largest ground floor space in the addition.
Berkeley Historical Plaque Project
Shattuck Hotel postcard (c.1910), Sarah Wikander collection.
Shattuck Hotel (ca.1914), Berkeley Public Library.
Sun porch Hotel Shattuck, Chamber of Commerce Brochure (ca.1915), Sarah Wikander collection.
Shattuck Hotel Lobby, postcard (1915), Sarah Wikander collection.
Shattuck Hotel Dining Room, postcard (ca.1915), Sarah Wikander collection
Hotel Shattuck advertisement, Chamber of Commerce Brochure (ca.1915), Sarah Wikander collection.