CITY OF BERKELEY LANDMARKdesignated in 1984
James Miller and Timothy Pfleuger, Architects, 1926
Shattuck Square is a group of three buildings constructed on the site of a former railroad freight yard, as a northern anchor to Berkeley’s historic downtown commercial district. It is the city’s only work by the San Francisco architectural firm that also designed the Paramount Theater in Oakland and 450 Sutter Street in San Francisco and the Paramount Theater in Oakland. This striking complex displays varied and elaborate cast-concrete ornamentation and window detail in a Spanish Colonial style. Over the years, this building has housed a business school, a market, a dance studio, a drug-variety-camera store, cafes, bookstores, restaurants, and copy shops. Despite many ground-floor renovations, the original character of the building is intact.
Berkeley Historical Plaque Project