Toverii Tuppa: Finnish Hall
CITY OF BERKELEY LANDMARKdesignated in 1979
August Trille, Designer, 1908
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Toward the end of the 19th-century, a large Finnish immigrant community was located in west Berkeley. Together they constructed this wooden building which integrates traditional Finnish and American vernacular elements. An auditorium with a stage, a kitchen and dining hall, a library, and a sewing room helped make Toverii Tuppa (“Comrades’ Lodge”) a center of community life.
Vigilante mobs vandalized the building after striking workers were fed here during the West Coast General Strike in 1934. In 1935, ideological divisions lead to the construction of a separate Finnish Brotherhood Hall on Chestnut Street. This building then became known as “Red Finn Hall.” Sold in the 1970s, the Hall continues in use as a cultural and community center.
Berkeley Historical Plaque Project