Plaque

Woodworth House

SOUTH

2237 Carleton Street map it

CITY OF BERKELEY LANDMARK

designated in 1993

Charles W. Woodworth House

1905

Entomologist, naturalist, physicist, and inventor Charles W. Woodworth designed and built this all-redwood house in the Bay Region style. The three-level, seven-bedroom home has a brown shingle exterior, clinker brick fireplaces, and leaded glass windows. The entrance and main floor were designed for Mrs. Woodworth who used a wheelchair.

Woodworth, a professor of entomology, helped develop the University’s College of Agriculture and the City of Berkeley’s first public library. A world traveler, he once spent three years in China organizing mosquito abatement efforts. He had designed and was assembling a powerful telescope in his backyard when he died in 1940.

Berkeley Historical Plaque Project
2000


  • Charles W. Woodworth, photo courtesy Brholden, Wikimedia Commons.

More information:
Biographical Sketch

Photo credit abbreviations:
BAHA: Berkeley Architectural Heritage Assn.
BHS: Berkeley Historical Society