CITY OF BERKELEY LANDMARKdesignated in 1977
Carl Fox, Designer, 1927–30
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
This small-scaled complex of one- and two-story buildings is a surprise on a busy street. Arranged along a brick walkway through a garden court, the buildings feature steep gable roofs, irregular cylindrical chimneys, exterior curved staircases, and small paned windows.
Carl Fox, a 1911 graduate in mining engineering from the University of California, and his brothers George and Herman, established Fox Bros. Construction Co. and maintained their offices here until 1953. At a time when University Ave. was primarily a residential street, Fox envisioned it as a thoroughfare with well-designed buildings for both businesses and homes.
Berkeley Historical Plaque Project