San Pablo Park
John Gregg, Designer, 1914
This is Berkeley’s oldest neighborhood park. In 1906 the West Berkeley Development Company bought a large tract of land in this area and developed fourteen residential blocks around what would become the park. Lots were sold for $100 down and $10 per month, and a brown shingled “artistic bungalow of five rooms” could be purchased with a $500 down payment.
In 1910 the company donated the park acreage to the City of Berkeley. John Gregg, University of California professor of floriculture and landscape gardening, laid out the original sports fields and play areas. A children’s playground and recreation center were added in 1964. San Pablo Park has provided a central focus to the neighborhood and is home to ballplayers from the entire city. Over the years community members have worked to protect the park and preserve it as open space.
Berkeley Historical Plaque Project