Plaque

Workingman’s Hall

WEST & CENTRAL

2015 Seventh Street map it

BERKELEY HISTORY

WORKINGMAN’S HALL

1879

Originally located at Sixth and Delaware streets, this simple wooden building was constructed by volunteers from the Workingman’s Club, a west Berkeley political organization. Built as a reading room for laborers, it was used briefly as Berkeley’s town hall shortly after completion. In 1882, a Methodist congregation moved the building to this location. It later was home to a succession of churches, schools, and fraternal organizations.

The rustic gabled structure without ornamentation is among Berkeley’s oldest buildings. When Black Pine Circle School acquired the property, the school carefully restored the building, creating a new space for art and drama.

Berkeley Historical Plaque Project
2005


    Photo credit abbreviations:
    BAHA: Berkeley Architectural Heritage Assn.
    BHS: Berkeley Historical Society