Peet’s Coffee & Tea
A revolution began here in 1966 when Alfred H. Peet (1920–2007) opened his first coffee roastery and store. Arriving in San Francisco in 1955, “Mr. Peet” was dismayed by the poor quality of coffee in his adopted country. He had learned about coffee roasting from his father in Holland and had further refined his tastes working in the tea business in Indonesia. Seeking a place for his specialty coffee business, Mr. Peet took the advice of a prophetic friend who suggested this spot, which in time came to anchor Berkeley’s famed “Gourmet Ghetto.” Over the years, Mr. Peet gained devotees and counseled new coffee entrepreneurs, sparking the coffee revolution that swept the country.
Berkeley Historical Plaque Project