Thousand Oaks School, site
CITY OF BERKELEY LANDMARKdesignated in 1993
THOUSAND OAKS SCHOOL
(Demolished in 1998)
William C. Hays, Architect, 1919
Stone and de Sanno, Architects, 1928
The residential subdivision of Thousand Oaks was incorporated into Berkeley in 1920. On this site, one year earlier, a new school building overlooking Blackberry Creek was built to replace wooden bungalows which had served as an elementary school. This school, designed by William C. Hays, Professor of Architecture at the University of California, had a third floor added in 1928. It was modified again in 1935 for earthquake safety. Designed in a style in keeping with neighboring houses, the building was a traditional early 20th century school.
It had operable multipaned windows, wide hallways, hardwood floors, a kindergarten room with a fireplace, and an impressive wood-paneled auditorium which served as a community meeting hall. The building was demolished in 1998 and replaced by a new Thousand Oaks School designed by Muller & Caulfield, Architects.
Berkeley Historical Plaque Project